My Family

My Family

About Me

My photo
Ashley B Photography specializes in newborn, children, and family photography in the Van Vleet-Houston area. I do on location photography which means you can do your photo shoot anywhere you like!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sufficient Grace

I really feel God is leading me to write this post. I think that there are a lot of things that I don't get out and talk about much. I tend to keep most things bottled up inside and they all just spew out sometimes. Especially when you are 22 weeks pregnant and hormones are raging, I cry at EVERYTHING. The Lord has really been working in my heart lately though. My wonderful Gramps died in March of this year. He was an awesome man of the Lord late in his life and he was such an example for our whole family. In 2006 he was diagnosed with cancer in his nose. Eventually it spread to his mouth, lungs, etc. He was very strong throughout his whole battle. He lost his entire nose and continued to go out and especially to church with a bandage across his face. The last time he was in church was less than a month before he died, it was raining and cold outside and he told Nanny he wanted to go to church. This was a man who longed to get out on a cold, wet day and worship in God's house when he couldn't even sit in the comfort of his home and stay warm. Wow, what a man of God! It's hard not to wonder why God placed this battle on such a great man. Our pastor preached the best sermon at his funeral we could have asked for. It was so inspiring, yet I have still been going through terrible times trying to get back in a constant walk with my Lord. Our Sunday School class is doing a study right now on a book called The Divine Mentor by Wayne Cordeiro. It is a wonderful book that focuses on growing our faith specifically through sitting at the feet of Jesus and reading his word and learning from the mentors he placed in the Bible to teach us.
Well today as I sat at the table doing my devotion and eating breakfast with Steele, God touched my heart so deeply. I was reading from 2 Corinthians 12. Paul was telling of a time when he asked for relief from a physical struggle that he was having and God told him this. 2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Wow, God's grace is all we need. We may face cancer, sickness, hurt, war, and many many other things but God's grace is all we need. Christ's power in Paul, in my Gramps, in so many others was more important than for us to be relieved from whatever suffering we may go through. This just gives me a tiny glimpse of why my precious Gramps had to suffer like he did. It was because of Christ power in him that was shining to so many others and how did I not realize this until today. I think Gramps realized it though. I know he is in heaven with his Lord healed completely and I can't wait until I see him again someday.

Thanks for listening to my heart today. I don't usually express my feelings for all of blog world to see. I just really felt God leading me to post this.


Here is a pic of my Gramps and Steele when Steele was a baby.


1 comments:

Alison said...

thanks for sharing ashely...i needed to hear that today. that sounds like a great book...i think i'll have to check it out! by the way, i've told a few people the "talking to baby brother" story you posted and everybody thinks it's so cute :)